Week of October 2nd
Let me preface this week’s menu by saying it’s all subject to change. Of course, it always is, but this week is especially fluid given that the ole’ mother-in-law is in town visiting with her new beau. I may need to get out of my kitchen and let waiters bring me food and wine …
- Five-spiced duck breasts with blackberries: I like to serve this over a bed of wilted spinach.
- Sautéed fennel with tarragon and Stilton: thinly slice fennel and saute with a glug of olive oil. Stir in fresh tarragon and toasted hazelnuts, then top with crumbled blue cheese.
- We are headed to our all-time favorite Thai restaurant in Washington D.C., Little Serow. I have now lost count of how many times we have made the trek to D.C. just to dine at this little tiny gem of a restaurant.
- Roasted chicken Provencal with melted garlic and shallots
- No-knead bread (for mopping up sauce)
- Crisp green salad with mustard vinaigrette
- Vietnamese clay-pot catfish with caramel sauce
- Spinach with caramelized shallots
- Grilled rib-eye steaks: crust with salt and pepper. Grill. That’s all. A squirt of lemon just before tearing in is good too.
- A fabulous red wine of sorts … decanted and everything. Ooooh. Ahhhhh.
- Some sort of veggie or salad. Hey, it’s a work day. I’ll figure it out.
- Poached eggs with mushroom two ways. Two ways no less! I can barely contain myself.
- Fall salad with apples and comte cheese
- Mom’s quick linguine with clam sauce: easy to turn out on a week night. Use fresh clams and homemade tomato sauce when time permits.
- Green salad with toasted pine nuts and pecorino