Week of June 29th
- We have been invited to a BBQ and baby-viewing, so that is where we are headed tonight. I am not clear on the menu, but I do know I will be bringing freshly made guacamole.
- Vietnamese lemongrass pork: I am on a Vietnamese kick thanks to the drool-worthy photos and recipes from my new cookbook, Vietnamese Home Cooking by Charles Phan.
- Green papaya salad, also courtesy of Charles Phan. Sometimes I substitute Napa cabbage or julienne zucchini if green papaya is not available.
- Sticky rice
- Indonesian swordfish, I know, I know, this was recently on my weekly menu. It’s THAT good, that’s all I can say.
- Spicy mango salad
- Long beans and shallots with Indonesian kecap manis. Although you can purchase kecap manis in some specialty shops or online, I like to make my own. It’s easy, keeps for several months in the refrigerator, and tastes much better than the bottled version. Kecap manis recipe.
- Leftover pork
- Green salad
- Chopped ceviche
- Avocado toasts, rub thick slices of bread with a half a garlic clove and then brush with oil. Toast bread. Top toasted bread slices with chopped/slightly mashed avocado, hot pepper flakes, sea-salt and a drizzle of good quality olive oil. Delicious!
- Blackberry salad
- 4th of July festivities! We are headed to a BBQ — time for good food, friends and fireworks.
- Date Night!