Week of August 10th
- Romantic date night per my handsome husband. Dinner and dancing on the town … somewhere.
- Prosciutto and melon: Easy. Take perfectly ripe cantaloupe and cut into wedges. Drape with the ham. It’s summer in Italy on a plate.
- Porchetta-style pork chops
- Zucchini ribbon salad with homemade pesto: shave zucchini into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Toss with pesto and additional fresh basil and cheese, if desired. If you don’t feel like making pesto, just toss the vegetables with olive oil, lemon juice, toasted pine-nuts, Parmesan cheese and plenty of fresh basil.
- Indian black pepper chicken: I like to add a handful of toasted cashews and raisins to this dish at the end. You can make the chicken without the curry leaves, but they are definitely worth seeking out.
- Spiced eggplant and peppers
- Indian eggplant pickle: I plan to make this over the weekend with slender eggplants and practically my whole spice rack worth of spices. Well, probably not quite that many. Recipe to come.
- Gal’s Night Out for me and Nacho Night for my dear, nacho-lovin’ husband.
- Grilled juniper-crusted salmon with fresh blackberry sauce and tarragon
- Green salad with fresh plums and Point Reyes blue cheese
- Farmer’s Market corn on the cob with olive oil and crunchy sea-salt
- Leftover Indian chicken
- Green salad with toasted pecans & feta-stuffed grilled peaches with violet balsamic drizzle: peaches done this way are absolutely delicious and so easy. Simply halve ripe peaches or nectarines and brush with olive oil or butter. Grill cut-side down for 1 to 2 minutes then flip. Stuff with feta and grill another minute or two. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and a shower of any fresh herbs (I like tarragon, mint and/or basil). Delightful! Goat cheese would be another good option for stuffing the fruit.
- Omelets or out we go!
I love the look of that eggplant and peppers recipe. Since I just bought 2 baby eggplant at the local farm stand I know how I’ll prepare them now. I even have a cast iron skillet that looks like the one in the picture to complete the dish! Thanks for sharing this and other recipes.